The Magic Kingdom Fireworks Wishes began on October 8th 2003, showing once a night time dependant on the time of year and holidays. We made quite a few mistakes during our first Disney
I cannot believe that we didn’t see Wishes, the Magic Kingdom fireworks until the 10th day of our holiday. We only stayed for twelve nights so we almost missed seeing them altogether. It was only because I said to everyone I wanted to see the castle at night before we came home, we all made the effort to go back to Magic Kingdom in the evening.
I like watching fireworks at home, but living in the UK the weather is always cold and almost certainly wet during fireworks season around November and December. Being in Florida in 90 degree heat during the day meant we were in for a hugely different experience watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks.
There are many places you can watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, and different people will have different opinions when giving out advice. We watched them for our first time sitting in front of the castle on the ground. We will choose a different spot next time so we can get a different experience.
I am so glad we made the effort to go to Magic Kingdom to see Wishes when we did as I know I would have regretted it so much when we had arrived back at home. I can think of many reasons why you shouldn’t miss seeing Magic Kingdom fireworks, but here are my top five.
1. Tinkerbell flies from the top of the castle – At the start of the show, Tinkerbell flies down a zip line from the top of the castle across towards Tomorrowland. We spotted her, but she went out of sight very quickly from where we were sitting in front of the castle. If you watch from the bridge at Tomorrowland, you will get a better view of Tinkerbell.
2. It’s free – Magic Kingdom Fireworks are included in your park ticket price. A Disney park ticket gives you more than just the attractions during the day, there is so much happening at night to make you experiences even more enjoyable like fireworks and parades.
3. Magic Kingdom fireworks last for twelve minutes – During the twelve minute firework show that is hosted by Jiminy Cricket and the Blue Fairy, you will see 683 fireworks going off. Jiminy and the Blue Fairy tell you the story surrounding the wishes of the famous Disney characters good and bad. That beats standing in a field trying not to sink into the ground listening to the bangs in the sky doesn’t it.
4. In addition to the fireworks going off all around you and the voice over from Jiminy Cricket and the Blue Fairy, you will see the spectacular light show on the castle. Watch it transform between many different colours and scenes which makes the firework experience even better.
5. If you are travelling from the UK or live in a colder climate than Florida, your mind will be blown away when you are able to sit on the ground in Magic Kingdom at nine or ten pm at night in shorts and a t-shirt watching the firework show. We travelled during July so it was hotter, but we were sitting on a hot pavement at 10pm at night. Never have I experienced anything like it before in my life. Fireworks in the UK will never be the same again.
If you are going to Disney, please make sure you find the time to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, you won’t be disappointed.
If you’re reading this and you’ve already booked your holiday, then check out ways to surprise the kids with your holiday, and if you’re wondering whether Memory Maker is worth the money then check out my post covering what I thought.
I learnt a lot from my first holiday to Disney.If you’re planning your first Disney World holiday then I can highly recommend this book to help you with your planning.
Disclosure – contains affiliate link