It’s not long before we take our first long haul flight as a family. To say that scares me a little bit is an understatement for a variety of reasons. I really don’t like flying, but I appreciate to get to the destination at the other end, I have to go through the flight.
I have no doubt that Miss A will take it all in her stride, and she will be fine, but I have been wondering what to pack for her to keep her entertained during the flight.
- There will of course be plenty of in flight entertainment in the form of movies and games on screen. I have checked out the choices available for our flight and there are some great movies that Miss A hasn’t seen yet such as Muppets, and The Lego Movie, so that will keep her entertained for a little while. I’ll also be packing her screen consoles in hand luggage.
I don’t want to just rely on screens for such a long time though as I think we all need some stimulation for both mind and body.
- Sticker books are easy to play with without making mess, and can be picked up and put down quickly. I have been scouting around for some bargains to pack.
- Games that are easy to play including Spot The Difference and Dobble are two of our favourites that we will be taking with us. No mess and we wont lose pieces easily.
- Magic colouring books that use pens without making a mess are packed and ready to go. I love these and the fact you can buy them in travel sizes too. We took these on our last flight with Miss A and they kept her busy for ages.
- Loom bands appear to be the latest craze in this house, so a few bargain packs I have sourced cheaply are ready to go. Miss A can easily make bracelets using her fingers, she doesn’t need the loom or the hook tool, so it’s an easy activity that will keep her active.
- Audio books for when she needs a little rest and relaxation. Nothing too stressful but she can maybe doze and listen to her favourite stories through her headphones.
- For when she wants to interact, I am packing a selection of her favourite books. This way she can read or be read to by family members.
- Imagination games such as eye spy, what am I? will be virtually packed and ready to be played at short notice when needed.
- A good old pack of cards to entertain doing magic tricks, patience, which can be passed around the whole family.
- A favourite teddy bear will be coming with us for hopefully entertainment as well as comfort when quiet time is called for.
What have I missed? Anything I should be making sure I pack for a long haul flight?