Long car journeys and children can be a nightmare for us parents if we’re not prepared. Last time we went on a long journey in the car, 6yo wasn’t around so I didn’t have to think about it.
We have a long trip coming up soon, and I don’t want to hear “Are we nearly there yet?” or “I’m bored” half an hour into the journey. I also don’t want to fall into the trap of using screens to entertain her, as she has more than enough screen time, that I would like a break from it on holiday.
I came across a great post from a fellow blogger the other day, Lucy’s Mad House wrote this post about taking children on a car journey.
I have some top tips of my own that I’ll be putting into practice when we go on our journey. We’ll be taking a selection of
- colouring sheets with colouring pencils (no felt tips in Daddy’s car)
- printed work sheets with wordsearches etc on
- stickers and a notepad
We’ll also be playing games such as
- shout when you see a red/blue/green etc car
- Car journey bingo (I’ll be printing bingo cards out this weekend, laminating them and using dry wipe pens.
- Guessing the tune on the radio
- “I went on holiday and packed” memory game
There will also be regular toilet breaks, drinks in the car, and hopefully a nice stop for lunch for everyone to stretch their legs.
How do you keep children entertained on a long car journey?