Smoothies aren’t something I buy very often, and I have been aware that some smoothies can rank high in sugar intake due to the amount of fruit you may put into your smoothie. Whilst these are natural sugars, too much in one go can still have adverse affects on your blood sugar.
That being said, I have come up with 10 reasons why you should drink smoothies to improve different areas in your lifestyle.
- I want to ensure I get more of my five a day. I can be quite good at making sure I get my five a day by ensuring I have vegetables with my dinner, and making soups for lunch or having salads. Fruit is always in the house but too often I am throwing it away when it goes bad. I want to stop this and a good way to ensure I have my five a day is to make a smoothie in the morning with my breakfast. Fruit can be frozen when it’s bought to stop it going off.
- A smoothie for breakfast is very quick to make. I am using my new Breville Blend Active and I can make a smoothie in five minutes or less which involves any chopping of fruit and vegetables. This is quick and easy.
- I want to look after my body a little more. My diet isn’t too bad but I am very good at over indulging at the weekends. A smoothie is a great way to detox my body, and there are so many different smoothie recipes out there for me to explore and taste. It’s also a great way to look after myself from within which will hopefully make my skin glow and my nails stronger.
- Smoothies are healthy. A smoothie is a better nutritional choice than a piece of toast and when we usually only have white bread in the house this decision is definitely a no brainer. I am often found reaching for the easy alternative for breakfast which may be a breakfast bar, and whilst these are OK in moderation, a smoothie is a lot healthier.
- I want some more energy. I am brilliant at cramming everything in at the beginning part of the week when I have to juggle work and family life together. I am often shattered by the end of the week, and I am hoping that drinking smoothies will help with my energy. levels.
- Smoothies are low in calories. By making good choices in my smoothies, I can actually lower my calorie intake whilst still filling myself up over breakfast.
- Helping daily water intake. Drinking a smoothie especially if you are adding water as liquid to your blender rather than juice or milk will assist in your daily water intake.
- Assisting digestion by breaking down the foods before chewing. Chewing helps break down the foods before your digestive system gets them. By letting your digestive system work less on getting the goodness helps your body have less stress when breaking down the foods.
- Reducing sweet cravings. I don’t have an overly sweet tooth, but drinking a smoothie with fruit in has a sweet taste which can take away the cravings you may get for chocolate or biscuits that aren’t as good for you.
- Alkalising my body. I have been reading a lot lately about which foods are acid based and which are alkaline. Your body needs to alkaline itself to be able to reduce heart burn and other complaints. Your body works best when it is slightly alkalised. Alkaline foods include fruits and vegetables so I’m eager to help my body stay at its best.
What’s your favourite smoothie combination?
Disclosure – contains an affiliate link